OUR CLUB HISTORY
The writing of a club story would always involve a detective like sifting of the evidence, in a search for truth amongst inadequate and trust-rating material. However we believe that the Osborne Park Bowling Club was the first bowling Club in Western Australia to be both financed and built by the members. Knowing this we are very lucky that in this our twentieth year we are able to put together the facts as recorded by our first overworked Secretary.
In writing our story we have decided to use as many names as possible. Many have played a prominent part in the foundation and running of our Club, and there are just as many who were dedicated hard workers without being prominent. We ask all members to bear with us if they feel that we have overlooked a particular person or event as we have taken great care to present an accurate, true account of our early days.
THE BEGINNING OF AN ERA
Our story really began one wet Saturday afternoon late in 1955 with a group of Osborne Park identities playing Euchre in a tent at the rear of the local pub. Those present in the tent were:
Murray Bartle, George Bell, Don Leuzzi, George Margaria, Frank Franesconi, Tony(Yankee) Mihovilovich and the late Albert Sims.
It was through an insignificant incident with the local publican that the players in the tent started discussions among the locals as to how they could get a license for a Club. Bob and Ken Bartle were, at that time, members of Forrest Park Bowling Club and they suggested that a Bowling Club would suit their needs. Joe Purcell was a strong advocate and it was decided that he and George Bell would each try to get ten men to a meeting to discuss the formation of a Club.
The first meeting, on the 15th February 1956, was held at George Bells home. Those present were:
Albert Sims, Ted Hickling, Murray Bartle, Bob Bartle, Pat Margaria, Stan Lancaster, Mick Martinovich, Gordon Edwards, Charlie Ferguson, Bill Powell, Vic Long, Ron Kennedy, Joe Purcell, George Margaria, George Bell, Rowley Blennerhassett, Tony(Yankee) Mihovilovich, Joe Leuzzi and Les Colgan.
Rowley Blennerhassett was never a member but was invited to the meeting to give advice on licensing procedures, as liquor licenses for Clubs were very hard to obtain in the 1950’s. Albert Sims took the chair until the formation of a committee, which comprised the following:
President: George Bell
Vice President: Joe Purcell
Joint Secretaries: Ted Hickling & Murray Bartle
Treasurer: Bob Bartle
Committee: Albert Sims, Pat Margaria, Joe Leuzzi, Vic Long, Stan Lancaster, George Margaria, Bill Powell, Mick Martinovich, Gordon Edwards & Charlie Ferguson.
This was a temporary committee and was elected for 3 months. All present put in for the keg and the supper that amounted to ₤4.10.0 which was donated back to start a bank account.
SELECTING THE SITE
The first meeting was held at Bartles Hardware Shop was on 22.2.1956. One of the main objects of this meeting was to select suitable sites and the following were suggested.
A. Bonds block approx half acre located at North Beach Rd, Osborne Park.
B. Humes block approx one acre on the N.W. corner of Tyler & Lawley Sts.
C. George Hills block Cnr Hutton & Hamilton Sts.
D. Frappes Nursery approx. two acres cnr Main St & North Beach Rd.
E. Fomiattis block approx two acres Cnr Wanneroo Road & Royal St.
F. Whites block approx 1 acre Cnr Main & Swan Sts
G. Johns Nursery S E Corner Hutton & Edward Streets.
These sites were all rejected for various reasons and the present site was suggested by Harold Millet and the late Jim O’Malley who were at that time Osborne Ward members of the Perth Road Board.
Once the site was selected, weekly meetings were held in Bartles Hardware Shop.
At the second meeting Jack Rainoldi and the late Allen Field were elected as foundation committee men. At a committee meeting held on the 6th March 1956 it was decided to use the rules of the Perth Bowling Club as a basis for our rules.
FIRST GENERAL MEETING
It was also decided to hold the first General Meeting in the RSL Hall on the 26th March 1956 the purpose of this meeting was to elect a committee for 12 months. Jim O’Malley took the chair for the election of officers and the following were elected for 12 months:
President: George Bell
Vice Presidents Bob Bartle & Fred Birnie
Secretary: Ted Hickling
Treasurer: Murray Bartle
Ass. Secretary: Murray Bartle
Committee: Charlie Ferguson, Allan Field, Jack Rainoldi, Mick Martinovich, Ron Kennedy, Cliff Guelfi, Ron Francesconi & Stan Lancaster.
FIRST SUB COMMITTEE
The first building committee was formed on the 19th April 1956, its members were George Bell, Jack Rainoldi, Mick Martinovich, Murray Bartle & Fred Francesconi. During this period events moved very quickly and it was decided to hold a meeting in the old Agricultural Hall for members and any persons interested in the proposed Club. This meeting was held on the 25th June 1956 and approx fifty people attended. This was possibly the first time that any correspondence had been used to members as up until now it had been communication by word of mouth.
It was decided at this meeting to stop the drive for membership, however there was apparently no need for a drive as there were seventeen new members admitted at the next meeting at the Hardware Shop on July 10th this took the membership to 107.
FINANCING THE PROJECT
To get the project started all members were asked to state in confidence how much they were prepared to subscribe in either of two ways
A. Cash or
The outstanding amount of £11,965.0.0 cash and £700.0.0 in goods was promised as well as a further £1,127. 0.0 on-call over a period of six months. Many others contributed labour to be taken out in debenture at a flat rate, (irrespective of what type of work) equal value to the basic wage that was paid at that time. We must thank Joe Purcell for his interest and foresight for he still retains the original notice sent out for this meeting and the summary of what transpired, including the envelope in which it was posted.
It is interesting to note that our original Clubhouse was designed on the same lines as the Rockingham Bowling Club, which had not long been completed. The amount of £55.0.0 for the plans and specifications for the proposed Clubhouse was paid on the 10th July 1956. The financial balance at this date was £533.11.1. On the 25th September 1956 a special extraordinary meeting was held in the Agricultural Hall followed by supper and films.
OUR LADIES DEBUT
Mrs Bell had prepared the supper for the first meeting at her home approximately 12 months earlier and it is believed that the September meeting in 1956 was the first occasion that the wives of the members prepared the supper. Thank goodness they are still looking after us.
The bank balance at this date was £2,310.13.1
There were some members at this meeting who felt that a Clubhouse the same as Rockingham was far too ambitious a scheme and a proposal was put forward to only build half the size. It was only after a spirited talk by Father Longmead (now Monsignor) that the members decided to go ahead with the plan.
The last committee meeting held in 1956 was on 10th December there were four new members admitted they were Ray Lamb No 133, Tom Burley No 134, Tom Lewis No 135 and Ron Kennedy No 136. The last item of business conducted in 1956 was the acceptance of the Colgans offer of two billiard tables complete with equipment and lighting not to exceed 100 pounds each to be taken out in debenture stock.
The first committee meeting for 1957 was held on 4th February. The first member to be admitted in 1957 was Vic Zanninovich No 137. It was decided to approach Bill Hegney MLA to take the position of patron. The building had now reached the stage where the committee was able to erect a notice board in it.
This is the first record we have of the Club having printing done, the treasurer was authorised to order: 5000 envelopes, 1000 Letterheads and 200 Membership Cards, Joe Purcell still has his first card — it is No 21.
The project was helped by the tremendous enthusiasm and Busy Bees were the in thing, not only on weekends but after work would see someone working on the job until dark. The keg was kept at Fred Birnie's Butcher Shop and the stories of the happenings at these busy bees and the keg afterwards behind the tea trees at the Butcher Shop would be a story in itself.
To enable vehicles to get through from Park Street to the building site Fred Francesconi carted loads of bark from Micks’ Timber Mill in Hamilton Street and made a track of bark to the building site. Don Leuzzi and Ken Bartle ran a water line from Park Street to the building site. George Hill built a builders shed out of face cuts and we believe George Bell used the same material to build the first dunny.
There are literally hundreds of stories and we intend to tell them all later.
At a committee meeting held on the 18th February it was decided to approach the Road Board re the laying down of the third green. Dr Ansell Bedell No 146 was among the new members admitted at this meeting. A decision was made that all new members pay a nomination fee of £5.5.0.
FINES FOR NON ATTENDANCE
It was no good being on committee in those days unless you were dedicated (or a mad worker) for apart from the busy bees, procuring quotes materials, permits etc etc there was much assistance. The word was spreading of what was being done at Osborne Park and there were many visits by members of other clubs to see the happening.
The bank balance on the 6th May 1957 was £3,073.19.6, which is amazing when we remember that a Bowling Club was being built with monthly payments being made as if money was going out of fashion. For example payments for April were £1931.4.4 and May £2885.7.5.
SEVEN DAYS NOTICE TO PAY FEES
Membership fees were £5.5.0 per year and were due on 31st May 1957. All members were advised that their fees were due on the 31st by registered letter and they were given 7 days to pay. One of our present day members who was elected at this meeting was Sonny Conway No 192. The last committee meeting to be held at the hardware shop was on 10th June 1957 the clubs financial situation was:
Debenture Payments: £4,362.16.11
A decision was made to pay workers at Busy Bees £3.10.0 plus 20% for tradesmen.
The following members were elected Joe Conti No 208 and Albert McFarlane No 207. The last member to be elected at the Hardware Shop was Alby Howson No 207.
FIRST MEETING IN CLUBHOUSE
The first committee meeting was held in the Clubhouse was on 1st July 1957. The minutes for this meeting are typed and take up seven pages in the minute book. The pace at this time must have been tremendous.
The minutes of this meetings are filled with alterations to the constitution, applications for affiliation with the R.W.A.B.A, teams for Pennants, registration of club colours, a telephone, a road to be built, quotes for refrigeration furnishings etc, etc.
One could go on and on about how many members must have neglected their homes, businesses and jobs to get our club off the drawing board and make it a reality.
The first general meeting ever held in the new clubrooms was on 10th July 1957 which was a special general meeting that was called to amend club rules. Approximately 120 members attended this meeting and the Club membership at this time was 216. A show of hands from those interested in playing pennants gave a count of over 50 members. It was then moved that the secretary write to Harry Snook regarding instructions for players. The President announced that there was a vacancy for a caretaker for the Club, however, there is no record of any further discussion on this matter.
There were several interesting items of business in the committee meeting held on 22nd July 1957 among them was the decision to start the refrigeration work immediately, the purchase of two cash registers, the selection of our Club colours, and selection of the first match committee whose members were Bob Bartle, Jack Rainoldi, Fred Birnie, and Stan Lancaster. Bob Bartle was also appointed temporary delegate to the R.W.A.B.A.
Among the new members listed were Gino Pozzi No 209 and Ed Cunnington No 214 who was later to become the lady bowlers first coach.
The greens had made very good progress and we must thank one of the States top bowlers at that time the late Harry Snook for his valuable advice in this respect. It was decided to enter 8 teams for Saturday Pennants and 4 teams for midweek pennants.
On the first of October all intending bowlers were asked to turn up on Sunday 13th for instruction and an elimination test for selecting the teams, three well known bowlers came from Royal Park to do this job, they were Laurie Ball, Pat Green and the late Tom Scaddan.
The following is a list of the foundation bowlers;
Antulov T, Bell G, Bartle R, Bartle M T, Bartle K, Birnie F, Bedell A, Birnie T, Beros S, Bertolini C,
Coombs H, Clarke J, Cunnington E, Dorrington P, Flanders H, Foppoli M, Francesconi A, Guelfi C, Guelfi F,
Gertzel R, Howson A, Hehir J, Howe W J, Johnson F, Katuna-Rich B, Kramer L, Lockwood W,
Leuzzi U, Lancaster S, Mevio T, Margaria J, McFarlane A, Margaria U, Martinovich M, Newell T, Pratt A, Pozzi G, Pestell R, Rainoldi J, Rainoldi A, Rodin J, Rodin J Jnr., Starling W, Sheahan D, Smullen Jack, Tillotson R, Treasure D, White G, Watters E, Zaninovich V, Zaninovich M.
We are entering the bowling era of our club and we must pay a special tribute to Bob Bartle for the excellent work he has done for 20 years in keeping the club bowling records. It would not be possible to calculate the countless number of hours that have been spent to make this document the professional job it is.
THE LADIES JOIN US
The year ended on a busy note, there were several meetings in the last quarter, among the many decisions were the following:
To admit lady associate members, the fee was set at £2.2.0 per year.
The secretary was to be paid £5.5.0 per week.
Bill Della Vedova was the first full time barman.
Charlie Ferguson was appointed Greenkeeper and Don Leuzzi Treasurer.
The committee meeting held in 5th March was a busy one, 33 new members were admitted, among them were, the following present day members;
Phil Guelfi No 151, Bill Hegney No 152, Steve Beros No 155, Len Simmons No 158, Joe Rodin Snr No 160, Bill Lockwood No 161, Arthur Pratt No 162, Bill Powell No 163, Peter Menaglio No 169, Peter Sertorio No 177 Guido Diletti No 178.
It was moved at this meeting that members in the members book from No 1 to No 149 as at 22.2.1957 be classed as foundation members, thus the Clubs No 1. foundation member was George Bell and the last foundation member was the late Bert Sawyer No 149.
The following is a list of the foundation members and their numbers as listed in the club records. We regret the many gaps and trust that publishing these notes will prompt many of the original members to help us with their stories and perhaps plug up some of the holes.
George Bell (1), Ted Hickling (2), Bob Bartle (3), Murray Bartle (4), Charlie Ferguson (5), Jack Rainoldi (6), Mick Martinovich (7), Stan Lancaster (8), Fred Birnie (9), Fred Francesconi (10), Alan Field (12), Cliff Guelfi (13), Pat Margaria (15), George Margaria (16), Ken Bartle (19), Joe Purcell (21), Lou Kramer (22), Joe Leuzzi (24), Don Leuzzi (25), Doug Sheahan (26), Gordon Edwards (27), Ron Sertorio (28), Bill Brown (29), Joe Marinko (32), George Prosser (34), Ernie Guelfi (36), Fred Johnson (37), George Hill (39), Frank Francesconi (40), Mingo Foppoli (42), Jim Howe (44), Allan James (45), Bill Starling (48),
Joe Marinko (51), Marinko Yaksich (52), Jim Martinovich (54), Nick Martinovich (55), Chris Lucev (56), Mick Healy (57), Jack Smullin (58), Mate Martinovich (60), Les Hewitt (61), Ray Gugiatti (65), Otto Putelli (66), George Fewson (67), Tom Newell (72), Tom Edwards (78), Fred Wilkie (80), Bill Powell (81), Tom Birnie (84), Laurie Richards (86), Ron Richards (87), Joe Burke (89), Harry Comerford (93), Andy Fomiatti (94), Ritchie Guelfi (95), John O’Bryan (97),
A Rainoldi (103), Mick Zanninovich (104), Tom Karmelich (105), Harry Coombs (106), Fred Christianson (107), G Thompson (108), R Arbuckle (109), R Dudney (110), Tony Antulov (111), Morrie Rosich (112), Peter Lucev (113), H Conder (114), Frank Guelfi (115), Jack Guthrie (116), Steve Beros (117), Alf Pozzi (118), Fred Guelfi (125), R Lamb (133), Tom Hurley (134), Tom Lewis (135), Tom Kennedy (136), Vic Zanninovich (137), Nick Nanovich (138), T Gordon (139), J Nariovich (140), F Knuckey (141), W Van Dalen (142), A Rorichi (143), Don Fortune (144), P Brookes (145), Dr Bedell (146), M Rowley (147), A Brown (148), Bert Sawyer (149).
The first accounts for stationery and building were passed at this meeting these accounts were paid to L Pugh.
£12.0.0, Midland Brick Co £1,600.0.0. The Clubs second annual general meeting was held in the Agricultural Hall on 13th March 1957. It was decided to increase the committee from eight to ten, New faces to appear on committee were Pat Margaria and Albert Sim, all other positions for office were re elected unopposed.
Amongst decisions made at this meeting were to increase the membership to 250 and to ask any out of work carpenters to contact the committee who would immediately employ them with payment by debenture stock.
The first meeting of the new enlarged committee was held at the hardware shop on 2nd April 1957. Apart from the original building committee this is the first time that the committee elected sub committees.
THREE MORE SUB COMMITTEES ELECTED
A Finance: Murray Bartle, Mick Martinovich, Jack Rainoldi and Ron Kennedy.
B Grounds: Albert Sim, Pat Margaria and Fred Francesconi.
C Social: Stan Lancaster, Allan Field, Charlie Ferguson, Bob Bartle, Cliff Guelfi and Fred Birnie.
The committee meeting held on the 27th May 1957 was an important one as this was the first decision taken to obtain quotes for furniture (the quotes were to be from members) the items in question were sixteen chrome and laminex tables, eighty chairs and one steel urinal unit.
Among new members were Joe Menaglio 199 and Slavo Marinkovich 200, this is the first record of a waiting list, the first person on the waiting list was Sam Hayman 201.
In May 1957 the club was ready to prepare its application for a liquor license and Mr O’Dea a solicitor of Kalgoorlie who specialised in this work was retained as the Clubs legal adviser. Club liquor licenses were not easy to procure at this period so it is interesting to note that when the time arrived for the court, to inspect the premises the interest in this project was so great that all members of the court came out for the inspection.
The decision was made on 2nd September 1957 to install lighting on two greens. They didn’t waste much time in those days as just 14 days later at the half-yearly meeting Jim Howe was thanked for his electrical work on the greens.
It was at this half yearly meeting that the members honoured our foundation president by electing him the Clubs first life member.
On the 30th September Albert Sim was employed as Greenkeeper/Caretaker and Jim Howe was elected to the Committee.
The account for the rails for lighting the greens came to £34. 16. 0 and cartage amounted to £1.13.9 these rails were erected by Chris Lucev with his mobile crane plus plenty of manpower.
Among the many new members for September were:
Archie Love, C Leuzzi, Bill Klarich, Don Treasure, Dave Lloyd, Peter Fomiatti, Brian Sherwood, Vie Russell, Jack Hayden, Don Menaglio, Snow Hall and the late Jim Conway.
Jack Rainoldi was appointed a member of the greens committee at this meeting.
The grand opening was held on the 2nd November l957 and an invitation was extended to all of the Royal Park Committee in appreciation of help given. Incidentally, Royal Park members admired our flagpole so much (which was made and donated by Lou Kramer) that Lou made another one which was donated by our Club to Royal Park in appreciation of assistance.
The year 1958 continued in the same tempo. On the 22nd February the Clubs membership was closed at 400 and there was a waiting list to join. Bowls were in full swing and socials were started early in the New Year. They did not have a band for these early socials and a pianist Jean Fitch was regularly engaged to provide the music, the MC being Bert Donegan. It was not until September 1958 that the first band was engaged for a Club social
In February 1958 the mens committee made an advance of £20.0.0 to the Ladies Bowling Club. The first meeting held to form the Ladies Bowling Club was on 11th February 1958. Three men from the mens club attended this meeting to assist in the formation of the Club and selection of a Committee, they were George Bell, Allan Field and the clubs newly appointed secretary/ manager Ken Turner.
Margaret Gordon supplied the following notes to us for publication on behalf of the Ladies Club up to the end of 1958. Mr Georqe Bell, who, with Mr Don Leuzzi gave us a lot of advice and assistance during the ‘early days’ opened the meeting in the Club rooms at 8.10 p.m. and 45 Ladies were present.
The original committee members were:
Mrs T Lightly President (deceased)
Mrs D Bedell Vice President
Mrs M Gordon Secretary
Mrs J Hehir Treasurer
Mrs N Bell, Mrs D Birnie, Mrs F Bartle, Mrs P Rainoldi, Mrs E Margaria, Mrs M Pozzi.
At this meeting the ‘hat’ was taken around and an amount of £2.4.0 was collected to purchase tea, sugar, butter and other items for the following Saturday afternoon teas. The committee donated bread, scones, cakes and butter and I may add the Committee donated many other varied items during the first months. To commence a bank balance the mens Committee gave us £20.0.0.
The men held their first carnival in February 1958 and it was requested that sandwiches, salads, sausage rolls and cakes were to be served to the players for their suppers.
No wonder Osborne Park were noted for their lavish afternoon teas and suppers and may I add, with Mrs Freda Bartle in charge of the food arrangements, this good name carried on over the years.
HOW DID WE RAISE MONEY?
Our first General Meeting was held in May 1958 and we had by this time 170 members. (At this date we became affiliated with the W.A. Women's Bowling Association). We also had a bank balance of £51.14.1 after only 3 months of operating. This money was raised by selling raffle tickets (we would raffle a cake for £1/— or if a cake was not available anything else we could lay our hands on was raffled, as long as we got it for nothing).
Every member gave and brought whenever a cake stall was held, or the raffle tickets were sold, because we were all very keen to see the Club prosper and there were a thousand things we needed.
We had our first Gala Day in April 1959 and we made a profit of £92.7.6 but it must be remembered that all raffles were donated and most of the vegetables. (I don’t think the profit on Gala Days or night carnivals today would equal $185.). As we were so financial we had a big spending spree and purchased bridge chairs, carpet for the Ladies Lounge Room, and a refrigerator for the kitchen (we paid the refrigerator off in instalments and then as time went by we were always purchasing different commodities either for the kitchen, locker room or lounge room.
One of our big projects at this time was organising and supplying shades on the greens. Another income source were Ladies Club fees which were paid to the O.P.B.C. but the Ladies Club received £2/- per person.
CLEANING OF CLUB ROOMS
When we first started, a lady cleaner was appointed. Unfortunately she preferred to be a lady of leisure and didn’t worry about cleaning in the corners etc. The Ladies were continually reporting the poor state of affairs so the Mens Committee came up with the bright idea of making Margaret Gordon ‘overseer of cleaning’ and all unsavoury reports from members were to come to her. (Very smart thinking on the mens part).
Many a morning Don Leuzzi would ring Margaret Gordon and say “Help the cleaner has not turned up” and together with Peg Rainoldi she would arrive at the Club faced with a hall of dirty drinking vessels, floor unswept and general order of disarray. They would get down on their hands and knees and wash the entire floor of the main hall, because an Electrolux was unheard of, as finances would not permit such a luxury. As time went by this commodity plus a polisher were finally purchased with the financial help from the men, of course.
PENNANTS AND DRESS
As you can imagine 16½ years ago the original members were all young ‘chicks’ - really too young for bowlers, we were told. We were all anxious to look our best in our uniform plus the ‘white stockings’ so we decided we would buy a bowling blazer.
Fred Guelfi was our Tailor and in no time we were stepping out in our bowling uniforms plus the blazer. Unfortunately no one had asked for advice from the R.W.A.B.A. and we were told in a very nice way that the pocket we were wearing was for men only and asked very discreetly to remove it. This issue led the Women's Association to establish a pocket of their own and it was Mrs Whittingham, with a little held from the Committee Members of the Osborne Park Bowling Club, who designed a pocket which was finally accepted by the R.W.A.B.A. and was worn by all Clubs.
There were only about 2 members who had previously played bowls so keenness was the essence when we ventured out to play in our first pennant games in 5th Division.
I can remember an ‘elderly lady’ at Leederville (she was probably only 52 years of age’) saying to us “You girls certainly enjoy your bowls —continue to do so whilst you are in the lower division because all that will be lost when you achieve your higher divisions”. They were very true words, as it didn’t take long before some Members were sure they should be playing in a higher division than the one they were placed.
One of our first bowling tutors was Bob Bartle. He taught us the correct method of standing on the mat and how to deliver a bowl, then later on Mr George Drew made himself available on a Sunday afternoon. Mr. Snook from North Perth Bowling Club also visited the Club on a Wednesday afternoon and gave lectures on “How to Play Bowls” but our greatest asset in the Club was Mrs Grace Whittingham who went to untiring lengths to impart her knowledge of the game and to go through the Rule Book, so members would be conversant with the Rules of Bowling.
An Umpires School was organised and run by Mr Charlie Fraser & Mrs Whittingham, Mrs Lockwood and Mrs Gordon both passed the first exam with good marks. They were then able to assist Mrs Whittingharn with her lectures. Mrs Ethel Guelfi, who later became Chairman of the Match Committee, also helped with new bowling members with instructions on a Club day.
Among items of interest in the first few months of the year was the motion to increase the price of a schooner to a bob (£-/1/-) this motion was defeated.
The death of a foundation member Les Colgan in March was possibly the first bereavement that the club had.
Among the new members to join were:
Harry Grigg (who was the first member elected in 1958)
Toni Burnbak, Bob Reid, Denis Rowbottam, Jack McCormish, Bill Potter, Harold Jodrell, and Branko Rodin.
Joe Rodin, Arthur Wallace, Jack Lukehurst and the late Sal Taafe, were some of the prospective members who were placed on the waiting list.
FIRST ANNUAL MEETING IN CLUBHOUSE
The first Annual General Meeting ever to be held in the Clubhouse was on the 26th March 1958. It was at this meeting that Murray Bartle was honoured by being elected the clubs second life member.
The balance sheet at this meeting showed that the Club had £528.17.2 in the bank and had spent £22,937.0.7.
PENNANT BOWLS START
The bowlers had a successful debut in their first year of pennants in 5th division, the leading skipper for the season was Doug Sheahan.
The sixteen players to play in the first ever pennant game were:
LEADER Gino Pozzi Jack Rainoldi
SECOND Murray Bartle Mingo Foppoli
THIRD Stan Lancaster Toby Mevio
SKIP George Bell Bob Bartle
LEADER Harold Flanders Gordon White
SECOND Bill Starling Tom Newell
THIRD Alby Howson Don Leuzzi
SKIP Ken Bartle Doug Sheahan
This team had many changes during the season as can be imagined they were promoted to 4th division at the end of the season.
The sides were made up as listed below:
LEADER Mink Martinovich Jack Rainoldi
SECOND Cliff Guelfi Bob Bartle
THIRD Murray Bartle Ernie Wetters
SKIP Stan Lancaster George Bell
LEADER Harold Flanders Gordon White
SECOND Joe Rodin P Dorrington
THIRD Ken Bartle Don Leuzzi
SKIP Branko Katuna-Rich Doug Sheehan
As 1958 wore on the tempo kept up some of the interesting things to happe. Requests from bowling clubs to visit Osborne Park were numerous, among them were, Kalamunda, Pinjarra and Mt Barker.
Purchases of trestles for suppers and more chairs and tables, a dartboard for the ladies and 400 Club Badges.
The death of Jim O’Malley was a sorry day as it was through his untiring efforts that many of the early days problems were sorted out.
One interesting one was a request from Osborne Park Agricultural Society that ‘The Bowling Club if possible curtail pennants on show day”.
A decision was made to employ a band for one month's trial and arrangements were made to hold a birthday night on the 18th October and to invite members of the Road Board R.W.A.B.A. and kindred bowling clubs.
The license fee for the year was £486.0.0.
In October Murray Bartle was appointed Hon Secretary, Don Leuzzi Assistant Secretary and Ron Richards Greenkeeper.
Among the many new members were Fred Christianson, Jack Rice, Jack Fewster, Chris Pratt, Harry Blampey and Barney Condren.
OSBORNE PARK V ROYAL PARK
In November arrangements were made for the first Osborne Park V Royal Park trophy event. Also a charity day event was organised between these two clubs. Each club had to provide 72 players with a nomination fee of £5/— per player.
DRINK ORDERS DELIVERED
In December 1958 all members received a post free order for their Xmas Drink orders. One interesting point on this form. (Joe Purcell has kindly loaned us his original copy) is a space for the member to indicate if he wanted his order delivered to his home. These deliveries were carried out by Frank Francesconi and Charlie Ferguson in Fred Francesconi's truck.
Night bowls were very popular and the three greens committee men, Jack Rainoldi, Pat Margaria and Fred Francesconi used to take it in turns to collect the ‘light fees’.
It was decided to hold a members only social on 20th December, a Christmas Tree on the 22nd and to wind the week up a members only Xmas eve party with late license on the 24th.
Meanwhile the Ladies hadn’t been exactly idle, they held a general meeting in May with 98 members present the bank balance was £51.14.1 and 40 ladies nominated to play bowls for the next season.
The following ladies were elected to the dart committee: Mrs Dot Wallace, Nell Martin and Grace Richards.
The Ladies first Annual General Meeting was held on 25th September 1958. Mrs White took the chair for the election of officers, which resulted in the following members being elected.
President Tilly Lightly
Secretary Margaret Gordon
Vice President Dollie Bedell
Delegate Grace Whittington
Country Delegate Margaret Gordon
Match Committee Shiela Lockwood, Grace Whittingham, Kath Sheahan.
Social Committee Peg Rainoldi, Lena Cook, Freda Bartle, and Eileen Margaria.
The Ladies wound up 1958 on a good note. They had £112.3.0 pounds in the bank and had purchased an astonishing amount of items and goods —among which were - a bin to enable them to purchase sugar in bulk, wholesale purchasing of tea and biscuits, crockery, cupboards, plastic table cloths, a £2.2.0 donation to the Mrs Tait fund (this was for her trip to the Tasmanian Championships) a 10/- donation to W.A.L.B.A. for the gala day and so on and on.
The first present day member to be elected in 1959 was Harry Comerford.
The year began on a very busy note with night bowls gaining in popularity. Seating arrangements were not adequate and members were bringing their own stools and chairs to help out, among the items passed at the first committee meeting held on 12. 1.1959 were decisions to purchase two dozen chairs to a sample obtained by Jack Rainoldi, authority was also given for Mick Martinovich to purchase stools at the next disposals sale.
It was decided that at least one green was to be available for night bowls every night from now on except Sundays and that regular organised night bowls be run with a nomination fee of ten shillings per team to purchase good trophies.
FIRST NIGHT CARNIVAL
This was held in January and must have been a great success. We had an extraordinary license for the semi finals on the Sunday and a late license for the final on Monday.
The decision to plant these at the ends of the greens was made during this period, what a boom this must have been in the days before we could afford shelter.
NIGHT BOWLS POPULARITY
The minute book at this period gives an indication how this size of the clubs activities was growing. Games were played against Perth, Inglewood, Royal Park, Bayswater, Forrest Park and the Police and to top it off there were return matches.
At the last committee meeting held before the annual general meeting was on 9th March 1959 where a decision was made to investigate the feasibility of converting the locker room into a games room and to order a cultivator and distributor from Queensland.
Last but not least Mick Martinovich donated a case of crayfish for the annual meeting. The Secretary was instructed to apply for a late license for the annual meeting.
The following committee men were elected for the year 1959 - 60.
Bar & Finance: Dom Leuzzi, Jack Rainoldi, Stan Lancaster, and Mick Martinovich.
Selection: Cliff Guelfi, Harold Long, and George Drew.
Match: Alan Field, George. Drew, and Cliff Guelfi.
Greens: Jim Howe, Fred Francesconi, and Mick Martinovich.
Social: Fred Birnie, Laurie Richards, Fred Guelfi, and Alan Field.
Delegate: Alan Field.
During April Dom Leuzzi was appointed club secretary and Fred Birnie was appointed acting President during George Bell’s absence on an overseas holiday.
The end of the season saw another promotion in Saturday pennants, this tine to 3rd Div. Some new names to appear in the record book were:
Fred Johnson, Jim Howe, Mick Zanninovich, Ansell Bedell, George Drew, Sol Taaffe, and Ted Douglas.
Among the new members to join the club around this time were:
Lou Hasler, Jack Graham, Jim Knowles, Jerry Boyd, Alan Munkton, Rio Mitchell, Alan Kimberley, Merv Reid, Alan Diggins and Max Tetley.
These were very popular at this time and the calendar was filled up with Euchre, Darts, Deck Quoits and Ping Pong.
Social games against Kalamunda, Safety Bay and the ex Gold-fielders while Saturdays were the big nights for events like:
The Scotch Night, Osborne Park Footballers and their wives, a Mystery Night, Barn Dance, fancy Dress Ball, and a Birthday Night on the night of opening day with a bonfire on 5th November.
Some of the more important items of business during this period were:
The installation of outside lights which were to be left burning at night in an effort to discourage baddies after two recent burglaries.
A pianist was employed on the nights when there was no social. Later on Lena Cook became the regular pianist.
Canvas blinds were installed on the verandah,
A TV set was purchased and a greens notice board was installed.
The biggest project at this time was to bulldoze the area for D green and an additional parking area.
This appeared to be a continuing problem and the committee asked Mick Martinovich and Jack Rainoldi to purchase chairs and tables from Auctions.
Good bands must have been at a premium because on 15th June 1959 the committee instructed Jack Rainoldi to book Jean Fitche’s hand for whenever possible after April 1960.
The club was continually receiving requests for use of greens and social games, clubs that wrote to us were City Beach, Mercantile Bowling Assoc, Civic Centre, Alexander Park, Perth Club, Subiaco Club and a request for one of our Club badges came from the Francis Drake Bowling Club.
The pressure was really on to cope with the coming season so a decision was made to complete D Green and a new well with all speed.
Mick Martinovich and Jack Rainoldi donated a pergola for the stairway leading up to D Green and the Committee started discussions on E Green.
HALF YEARLY MEETING 1959
This was held in September, important items’ were congratulations to:
Brian Sherwood for winning the Champion of Champions dart competition
Branko Katunarich for reaching the finals of the Kalgoorlie singles and to
Jack Rainoldi for being selected in the State Team to play in Queensland.
It was announced at this meeting that the following coaches would be available on Sunday mornings for any new or inexperienced bowlers: Ted Douglas, Sol Taaffe, Laurie McDermott, Harry Ball, and Percy Dorrington.
END OF 1959
By the last committee meeting for this year the Club had paid for D green, a new well, irrigation and a new mower, the credit balance was £534 pounds and the liquor license was due next day.
The New Year opened with a bank balance of one hundred and fifty four pound and a move was made to terminate speeches at pennant afternoon teas, however, this motion was unsuccessful.
There were many visits by Ladies from other clubs for bowls in summer and flag bridge in winter, a trophy was given and a raffle (dressed chook) for 2 bob was the usual thing.
During the winter months lectures were given on the game of bowls and sometimes visitors from other clubs were invited.
Present day new members admitted early in 1960 were:
Harold Durrant, Jim Trembath, Ray Ridley, Andy Glass and John Plozza.
Among the many items purchased were a first aid kit, Photo of the Queen, Australian Flag, full sized Pennant and a portable Temprite.
The first discussions to install air conditioning in the bar were recorded.
The TV set was now in use however the novelty must have worn off as discussions were held as to where it could be placed so that it would not interfere with normal club life, it was decided to put it in the ladies committee room for a trial period.
These were still very popular with games being held with Bayswater, Pinjarra, Brewery Social club, Safety Bay, Belmont and Swan Valley.
The night against the Brewery must have been a beauty as the Brewery donated 30 gallons and Osborne donated 10 gallons.
FIRST PENNANT WIN
April saw the decision to play the first novice singles and to purchase new score boards the same as those in use at East Fremantle.
Third Gold won the Pennant the team was as follows:
Ansell Bedell Bob Bartle
Jack Hayden George Bell
Stan Lancaster Cliff Guelfi
George Drew Branko Katuna-Rich
Won 24 - 21 Won 23 - 17
Alan Munkton Gordon White
Jim Howe Sol Taaffe
Mick Martinovich Dom Leuzzi
Jack Rainoldi Doug Sheahan
Won 33 — 18 Lost 20 - 22
4th Division Final
Fourth division played off, the teams were:
Laurie Richards Laurie Crothers
Harold Long Bill Edmunds
Fred Johnson Alby Howson
Ken Bartle Murray Bartle
Won 21 — 18 Lost 24 — 28
Joe Rodin Jnr Mick Zanninovich
Sam Miller Clarrie Wilson
Bert Donegan Bill Lockwood
Percy Dorrington Harry Ball
Lost 20 — 25 Won 25 - 22
Although there were many new bowlers in the 59—60 season the selectors had their problems and were forced to forfeit one of the sixth divisions.
New names to appear in the bowling records are:
Lou Kramer,Joe Margaria, Jack McCormick, Tony Antulov, Marian Yaksich, Chris Pratt, Snow Hall, Bill Luezzi, Alf Pozzi, George Vladich, Merv Reid, Bill Devine, Alan Kimberley, Paddy O’Brien, Otto Putelli, Fred Rowbottam, Brian Sherwood, Jerry Boyd, Joe Leuzzi, Archie Love, Peter Menaglio, Maurie Rosich, Harry Comerford, Archie Ward, George Prosser, Peter Fomiatti, Steve Beros, Joe Purcell, Jack Fewster, Tom Newell, Charlie Ferguson, Bill Powell, Bill Russell, Stan Mannix, Harry Grigg, Tom Lewis, Tom Birnie, Arthur Wallace, Fred Birnie, Fred Christianson, Jim Conway, Arthur Pratt, Bill Potter, Len Simmons, Joe Marinko, Harold Jodrell, Harry Blanpey, Fred Guelfi, Ron Pestell, and Fred Francesconi.
The annual general meeting was held in April, congratulations were extended to Fred Birnie for five years excellent work on the Social Committee. Congratulations also to Clarrie Wilson, Harry Blampey and Dom Leuzzi who had passed their umpires exam.
NEW SUB COMMITTEES
The following were elected for the year 1960— 1961:
Delegate: Alan Field
Bar & Finance: Jack Hayden, Jack Rainoldi, Stan Lancaster, and Mick Martinovich.
Greens: Jim Howe, Jack Fewster, and George Jackson.
Selection: Harold Long, George Drew, Cliff Guelfi, Mick Martinovich, and Jim Howe.
Social: Fred Birnie, Alan Field, Laurie Richards, Jack Fewster, and George Jackson
Match: Harold Long, Alan Field, and Laurie Richards
The R.W.A.B.A. advised clubs that the last lots of tramlines were going up for sale, this was to be the last opportunity to obtain cheap poles for lighting bowling greens.
Talks were held to hold a midweek and Saturday series between Forrest Park, Perth, North Perth, Royal Park, and Osborne Park. Each club was to put in five pound for the trophy, however, lack of good greens forced the idea to lapse.
With the failure of the proposed winter pennants the pace slackened for a change. Some items of interest to appear in the minute book were:
The first quotes for electric radiators were obtained. Up to now kerosene heaters were in use.
Sunday morning cleaning was done by the committee on a roster system under the supervision of Laurie Richards.
Handicap events were held during winter. Bar trading figures were between 500 — 600 pound per week, the credit balance in July was £2,251 pound.
Seating was still a problem and it was decided to purchase more stools. The club sold its original roller to the Dowerin Bowling Club and purchased a new one from Charlie Hicks.
The greens committee were instructed to prepare one fast green for practise during the coming season.
The R.W.A.B.A. starts a new points system for pennants.
HALF YEARLY MEETING
The half-yearly meeting was held in September 1960 congratulations were extended to Jim Howe, John Groves, Steve Beros and Joe Rodin Snr. on their fine performances at the Kalgoorlie carnival.
The first record of a member's loss of property was Jim Kelly's’ set of bowls in October.
As the year drew to a close quotes were being obtained for repainting the clubhouse.
The portable temprite must have been a success as the Bar and Finance committee were instructed to purchase a larger one, charity day raised 144 pounds and pennant afternoon teas were increased to two bob.
The year closed with a special general meeting called on 21st December, the meeting was called to amend the constitution to increase associate members fees to two pound ten shillings per year.
We regret that sketchy records have prevented us from recording new members for most of 1960.
One of the first things the Ladies did in 1959 was to employ a lady pensioner to do the washing up after afternoon teas on ladies day, each pennant player was to pay sixpence to cover this cost.
In February Grace Groves was elected to committee to fill a vacancy and the girls were all busy preparing for their first experience of catering for country players, this was a singles event and they had to provide markers and meals.
Once again this was a great success as the bank balance jumped from one hundred and thirty five pound to three hundred pound.
During the winter period a table and chairs were purchased for the ladies room and prices and colours were being considered for carpets.
LADIES ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Was held in August and the bank balance was sixty three pound.
The new committee was:
President: Tilly Lightly
Vice Presidents: Rene Lancaster & Molly Allpike
Secretary: Margaret Gordon
Treasurer: Amy Hill
Delegate: Ena Potter
Extra Members: Tess Putelli and Mary Long
Match: Kath Sheahan, Grace Whittingham, Marge Miller, Connie Harley, and Min Pozzi
Social: Alma Lewis, Elsie Powell, Flo Kelly, Dot Jackson, and Grace Richards
Was held in October and members of the executive were invited. Committee members made bouquets of flowers for presentation to honoured guests. Rene Lancaster volunteered to be the ladies reporter to report happenings to the paper and Tom Scaddan (Radio)
The year ended with a Xmas Party with a trophy given for the most original hat.
The first new member elected was Syd Gedge and a letter of thanks was sent to Snow Hall for acting as Father Xmas.
Enquires were in progress to decide on the installation of a Convair cooler and a midweek game was arranged with bowlers from Sunset Home.
Fred Johnson was elected to committee to fill a vacancy.
As the year progressed to the annual meeting interesting items arising were a social game held with the press, the return Royal Park / Osborne match.
A quote for a suitable Air Conditioner was 495 pound installed.
Sol Taaffe was busy coaching the ladies. Jack Rainoldi left for Brisbane for the Australian Bowling Carnival. Mick Martinovich and Jack Rainoldi paid a visit to Pickering Brook to inspect a new composite bowling green which was creating a lot of interest.
Sub Committees for the year 1961 - 62 were:
Treasurer: Jack Hayden
Delegate: Fred Guelfi
Greens: Jim Howe, Len Simmons, and Jack Fewster
Bar & Finance: Ted Hickling, Jack Rainoldi, Stan Lancaster, Mick Martinovich, George Jackson, and Fred Birnie.
Social: George Jackson, Laurie Richards, Cliff Guelfi, and Jack Fewster
Match: Fred Guelfi, Laurie Richards, Harry Grigg, and Len Simmons as the delegate to the Perth Road Board
Mick Martinovich was elected sole selector and he was to be advised by a Captain from each team. The players chose the Captains.
The new committee purchased the club’s first typewriter for £30 pound, however they decided to defer the lighting of C Green as funds were needed for higher priority work.
The clubs finance was in a healthy state, the balance was £2702 pound and bar takings were up £50 pound per week on the previous year. Jack Rainoldi was appointed the clubs first maintenance officer with authority to spend £5 pound per job.
MID YEAR 1961
By now the club was well established and it is evident from the minute book that some of the earlier enthusiasm had disappeared.
Highlights of the second half of 1961 were:
Ted Douglas took over from Syd Taaffe as club coach, later in the year Ted became greenkeeper at Inglewood and had to resign this position. George Drew was appointed to take over from Ted Douglas.
These were losing popularity and in an effort to revive interest it was decided to invite the Wembley and Doubleview clubs to our socials.
Mick Martinovich and Jack Rainoldi were asked to approach members to ascertain how much could be raised in debentures.
The last repayment to the Perth Shire was made in September.
George Bell had made arrangements for an architect to advise on proposed building alterations, while all this was going on Harry Grigg and Len Simmons were busy painting the kitchen.
Eight teams were nominated for Saturday pennants and there were 3 teams for mid week. George Bell was appointed sole selector of mid week pennants.
A competition was run for members to design a club badge however the response was not up to the standard that the committee has hoped for and the closing date was extended to the end of 1961.
This must have been a great day, golf was played on D Green and the amount raised was £73 pound. Almost everything was donated.The committee only outlaid money for the following 3 items.
2 Gross paper plates,
1 suckling pig 30 Bob,
3 Trophies £3 pound fifteen shillings.
During 1961 the waiting list was lowered to nil and the clubs membership was open.
Present day members who joined in the second half of 1961 were:
FULL Members: Allan Erdman, Wally Lothian, Joe Burke, Harry Larcombe, Bob Sadler, and Ron Leslie.
ASSOCIATE Members: Ma Bush, Kath Larcombe, and Kath Erdman.
The year wound up with the following approvals.
To purchase umpiring equipment “of the telescopic type”
Appointment of Jack Rainoldi and Mick Martinovich as a sub committee to look into the proposed building alterations.
The year started off with a burglary which must have been a messy one as a vote of thanks were recorded to Murray Bartle, Jack Hayden, Dom Leuzzi and Charlie Ferguson for their efforts as a result of the break in.
Murray Bartle was appointed to the building committee and architect N Hawkins was contracted to prepare the plans.
The decision not to charge for lights in night bowls was made at the year's first committee meeting.
This event was run in sections of 4, apparently for the first time, however there is no record of the success of this method.
The empire games were not far away and the W.A.B.A. had asked all clubs to contribute. The committee set a target of £40 pound for Osborne Park however this amount was found to be too much and in June the amount of £22 pound had been raised and this was given to the games fund.
This must have been a very heavy year for committee as well as normal club activities, there were the Empire Games, building alterations, lockers being built, bar slides being installed etc. In July a special sub committee was formed to organise for the ABC carnival.
This sub committee comprised:
Manager Bob Bartle assisted by Ken Bartle and Fred Guelfi
Transport & Entertainment Jack Hayden assisted by Laurie Richards and Alan Munkton.
Catering Fred Birnie assisted by Bill Edmunds,
Bar Reg Sorrell, Cliff Guelfi, and Les Williams.
Tenders for the alterations were let in August for £2,500 pound. The air conditioner was not a success and this unit was advertised for sale.
Branko Katuna-Rich was appointed coach and lessons were given every Sunday morning.
As the New Year approached new, leaf type, scoreboards were purchased and donated.
Signs “TO OSBORNE PARK BOWLING CLUB” were purchased.
The President was presented with the clubs first gavel and after eight months effort a concertina measure was finally obtained.
Fly screens were installed and efforts were made to install a public phone while the ladies were trying to have a taxi phone installed.
An interesting decision was made to reintroduce speeches during pennant afternoon teas.
The ladies had just purchased some new crockery and decided to sell the chipped crockery for 2 shillings for a cup and saucer, there was such a demand for these that it was decided to place all the names in a hat. One of the first things done in the New Year was to send a baby book to Mrs Dom Leuzzi.
In January the ladies were badly hit by sickness and holidays so much so that they decided to nominate fewer teams the next season. Norma Rowbottam and Alma Edmunds who were holidaying at Mandurah and Rockingham respectively travelled home to play to help the situation.
These were a problem and the Ladies decided to clear their own tables on ladies pennant days and to pay the lady 4 shillings a table to remove the tablecloths and wash up, later in the year they employed caterers for afternoon teas.
Flies were a very real problem and fly wire screens were installed in the kitchen and a large fan was obtained on appro for use in the hall.
Madam President's day was a great success with ladies playing progressive bowls. The novice singles was won by Dot Johnson the runner up being Jean Pember.
The ladies were also involved in this event with a £5-pound donation and a committee of ladies to meet visitors as they arrived in W.A.
One of the last items of business by both the Ladies and the Mens committee was to honour Margaret Gordon as the first life member.
Among the many new members were:
Merv Delevale, Len Thompson, Frank Hill, Bert Hewitt, Jack Rice, Peter Marshall, Tony Andrijasevich, Fred Carter, Jim Dow, and John Jakovasich.
Edie Leslie, Norma Callan, Elaine Carter, Amy Hill, Kay Johnston, Herb Graham, and Ivy Delevale.
The main topic in the New Year was the ABC Carnival in March.
As usual the minutes are rather sketchy and we will have to rely on others to supply us with the highlights. We know that Osborne Park held a BBQ on the 2nd March and a picnic to Yanchep on the 10th March. The carnival only cost the club £65 pound which shows how much effort the members gave.
Branko must have turned on the pressure for he got to the semi finals in the ABC Carnival, quite an effort for a man who played his first pennant game in 1957.
At the conclusion of the carnival, special thanks were given to the Manager Bob Bartle and his main helpers Jack Hayden, Fred Birnie, Fred Guelfi, Alan Field, Ken Bartle, Bill Aitken, Reg Sorrell and in particular our Ladies.
Among the many items purchased during the year were:
A compost bin to help combat the flies,
A 24” Mower,
3 tables for the card players,
12 Bar stools,
Signs to indicate A, B, C, D Greens and
A club honour board.
In an effort to raise funds to meet the increased cost of the liquor license membership fees were raised by one pound ten shillings for a full member, ten shillings for an associate and a new rule of one pound for pensioner members.
New keg prices were:
5’s - £5 pound, 10’s - £9 pound, 18’s - £15 pound 10 shillings.
These were posing a problem so the PMG was approached to remove the extension in the ladies lounge and to remove the dial from the phone in the bar.
Several interesting items:
Transfer a pennant game from 24th March to 31st March due to a proposed visit by an American team.
The introduction of a smaller mat,
Eliminating a forfeit when a pennant team was one player short and
The acceptance of the Rosenthal medal.
At the Annual General Meeting Jim Howe was honoured by being elected to this select band of dedicated members.
New committee members elected were Harry Comerford, Arthur Wallace and George Prosser.
Mick Martinovich was elected sole selector, he must like punishment as he had hopped in and helped the selectors the previous year.
Arthur Wallace was elected Club Coach for the new season and Bob Bartle was still in the thick of it after being chairman of the Electric Light Carnival, Manager of the ABC Carnival, and he also organised the Osborne - Royal Park Trophy event which was played on Anzac Day A.M. and P.M.
Some of the items the committee carried out during the year were:
Hire of a pie warner,
A late license for the Ladies Dinner,
The decision to spend £100 pound on club trophies to be spent in the proportion of winner 60%, runner up 40%,
Discontinue stocking Pop Corn and Potato Chips.
This old problem was still with us and the late Joe Leuzzi was asked to make more stools and trestles. Prices were obtained to enclose the verandah and to open up the hall, and to also to remove the old swinging door at the north end of the bar.
The last items of general business for the year were to accept the Narembeen Clubs invitation for a visit to that club and to trade in the old Piano.
Among the new members for 1963 were:
George Prosser, Jack McCormick, Vein Barclay, Ric Mitchell, Maud Kimberley, Jennie Cohen, Col Lindsay.
The Clubs first pensioner members were Wally Howe and Jock Glass.
The New Year opened with preparations being busily made for the ABC Carnival and the half yearly meeting that were both held in the same week. The ladies made a profit of £19 pound 18 shillings and 7 pence on the ABC Carnival.
Trophies were given to the team that won the most ends and it was decided to give tokens instead of trophies. The values of the tokens were 5 shillings for the winner and 1 shilling each for the winning team on the other rinks.
Among the many items during the year was a vote against allowing seamless stockings to be worn and a vote against the proposal to have afternoon tea after 11 ends instead of the existing 9 ends.
A vote for eyeshades to be worn under hats and for green linen to be allowed on the under side of hat brims.
Elsie Powell was coopted onto the match committee and Peg Fewson onto the social committee.
The leading skipper for the year was Thora Saggers, 2nd Jean Jodrell, 3rd Connie Harley.
Gala Day was a great success with the girls raising £130 pound.
Among the many items purchased through the year were:
A book showing drawing up of charts for various events,
6 wooden blocks for drawing the rinks in pennant games, and
A donation of £50 pound to the mens committee for the purchase of shades for the greens.
Flag Bridge was still being held and some new items to appear were:
Pot Luck at 3 pence per card,
A Thank you afternoon to the social, match, and dart committees and
A visit by a representative from Anchor Products.
In September the Ladies Bank Balance was in the red. They had £19 pound 5 shillings and 11 pence in the bank and accounts due totalled £19 pound 13 shillings and 9 pence halfpenny. Their capitation fees were due and they imposed a levy of 1 shilling to meet this commitment. A call of help to the mens club did not go unheard as the mens committee took over the payment of capitation fees.
In an effort to get back on their feet a fashion parade was held in October the charge being 5 bob each. This must have been quite a night as the men built a catwalk and a model academy was employed to organise the night complete with a commentator and pianist.
The year finished on a happy note with a Xmas Party and a healthy bank balance of £121 pound.
The last item of business for the year was to purchase a suggestion box to be placed in the Ladies Lounge.
Among the many new members for the year were:
Merv Millar, Jack Aitcheson, Graham Cocks, Bill Savage, Con Gotsis, and Ron Sexton.
This year must have been one of the most memorable in Branko’s life, highlighted by his winning the State Singles, selection in the Australian side to play in South Africa, and a spectacular bowls match on the 28th April Katunarich V Sargent.
At the first committee meeting on the 20th January the bank balance was only £28 pound after paying for the liquor license and a new mower.
As the annual meeting approached items of interest were:
Discussion to hold a Masters 4’s competition at the end of the pennant season.
Alan Field was appointed as secretary of the R.W.A.B.A.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Our foundation president did not stand for re-election and Jack Hayden was elected unopposed as our clubs second president.
At this meeting a forward thinking Bill Russell recommended to the incoming committee that they appoint a club historian.
Herb Graham donated a trophy to be donated at the committees discretion and beer prices were increased to:
5 oz glass — 10 pence,
7 oz glass — one shilling and one~penny;
10 oz pot — one shilling and six pence.
The following sub committees were elected for the 1964 - 65 year:
Delegate Clarrie Wilson,
Social Laurie Richards, Harry Comerford, and Cliff Guelfi.
Greens Jim Howe & Mick Martinovich
Match Bob Bartle, Harry Grigg, Harry Comerford, Clarrie Wilson, and Joe Burke
Maintenance George Prosser
Bar & Finance Jack Hayden, Beg Sorrell, Jim Knowles, Mick Martinovich, and Cliff Guelfi,
Selection Doug Sheahan, Bob Bartle, and Clarrie Wilson.
There were many items for the new committee the most important were:
Nominations were called for the first drawing to the Jack competition.
Transistor radios must have become a nuisance as there were discussions regarding the problems with them.
A motion to allow the third to stand at the head with the skipper was defeated.
Floods hit Collie and clubs were asked for help for the Bowling Club.
The first record of an attempt to wear casual clothes on the greens during winter on weekends was on 31.8.64. The motion was defeated.
A building alterations committee was appointed, it was made up of the Bar and Finance committee and George Bell.
Friday evening counter snacks were becoming popular under the control of Jim Knowles and the tickets for the Annual Dinner were on sale for 30 Bob each.
SHIRE OF PERTH TROPHY
The first meeting of Bowling Clubs to organise this event was held at the Inglewood Bowling Club in June.
Quotes were obtained for Indoor Bowls, the mat was £40 pound and a set of bowls £5 pound. Quotes were also obtained for a table tennis table for £21 pound, however, it was eventually decided to defer these items until the alterations to the Clubhouse were finalised.
J B WALLACE TROPHY
As the year drew to a close arrangements were being made to play for this trophy which was donated by Ron Stone.
A night bowls game called “Bring a Friend” evening was also held.
Other items of interest were
to welcome Arthur Wallace back on to committee to fill a vacancy.
The Secretary was appointed Club Publicity Officer.
The Air Conditioner was finally sold for £180 pound.
Another 2 dozen chairs were purchased and it was decided to replace the Xmas Party with a picnic to be held during the school holidays.
The club was advised that the 1st division pennant game between Osborne Park and Kitchener Park would be telecast on 6th February 1965.
Early in the New Year the Ladies paid for fans to be installed in the main hall, what an investment, we are still enjoying this amenity.
Earlier the mens committee had been approached regarding mixed bowls on Sunday afternoon and Thursday nights. The Thursday night mixed event must have been a great success as volunteers were called for to help draw up the teams each week.
All members were very thrilled when Margaret Gordon was appointed as a delegate to represent W.A. at the council meeting in Sydney.
Osborne Park were the host club for the champion of Champions final and final rounds of country week so there was much activity with meals.
Brooches were purchased for all Ladies on committee and when all the dust had settled the girls had made a net profit of £1 pound 10 shillings on the Wednesday and £25 pound on Good Friday.
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN CARNIVAL
400 Lady bowlers from W.A. were preparing to go to the carnival next March and approval was finally given for seamless stockings with a new colour range.
Other bowls items were:
Discussions to hold a married couples event
The decision to run next years club singles a new system known as the 2 life system and
A President and Committee day.
Letters of thanks were sent to the following men for help given over the past couple of years.
Bill Rigby and Vaughan Barclay for auditing.
Ken Bartle for preparing the pennant charts.
Lou Mapp for shades and
Mr McConochie of Nedlands Club who had prepared cards for Pennant games.
As the year drew to a close a typewriter was purchased for the Secretary.
An apron day was held with the amazing profit of £35 pound.
A picnic to Yanchep during the August School Holidays.
The year ended with the Xmas Party run as a novelty hat parade.
By now the club had settled down to the normal routine of club life that we are enjoying today.
The main item of interest was the proposed major rebuilding program. The building committee met with the architect in January and eventually by the end of April the deadline was set to commence alterations. However, there were many frustration's involved on this project and it was a very trying period for the committee and all members both men and ladies before the building alterations were eventually commenced.
The first discussions for this event were held following Wally Lothians offer and suggestions regarding his proposal.
Other items of interest during the year were:
The suggestions for a spoon trophy for the highest winning margin in pennants.
Roll ups were permitted between 11 am and 12 noon on a Saturday.
D Green was oversewn with a hybrid bent in March and
A Green had the same treatment in September.
A football tipping competition was started and for the first time a lock was fitted to the pennant board.
The metropolitan boundary was extended bringing Safety Bay into the pennants and the R.W.A.B.A. were investigating zoning.
Quotes were obtained for lighting C & D Greens and efforts were made to obtain tram lines from as far away as Kalgoorlie and eventually poles were purchased for C Green and it was decided not to light D Green.
Jack Lukehurst, Jack McCormick and Harry Comerford were attending the umpire's school.
Branko commences coaching lessons every Monday to Thursday.
A new PA System was installed and quotes were obtained for new bar refrigeration.
Outside, the gardening staff and volunteers were doing painting.
Bob Bartle was appointed official club recorder.
The Greens maintenance was contracted out to Terry Ball.
Mick Martinovich was sole selector with assistance from Arthur Wallace when needed.
As the year closed they were forced to forfeit 5th Blue Saturday team for the remainder of the season.
The year started off with a Charity Night which raised £22 pound.
For gala day this year they had a smorgasbord which must have been very successful judging by the visitors comments. A special vote of thanks was given to Kay Johnson who had baked 23 dozen scones for the gala day meals.
Mixed pairs and fours on Saturday nights were popular and were run until April.
To help the many new bowlers the ladies asked Len Simmonds to take on the job of ladies coach and instructions were given to explain the rules of the game.
Easter was a very busy time, on Good Friday alone there were 120 bowlers plus visitors to be fed, this meant the hiring and purchasing many items of kitchenware from potato peelers to 12 dozen entree plates.
The ladies dinner must have been another ripper one of the items being a Mavis Bramston show organised by Rene Lancaster.
There was a visit by the South Australian Flying Bowlers early in the year, which was the main item of interest.
Decimal currency came into being in February and some of the new prices were: 5 oz glass 1O~, 7 oz 12~, Cans 22~.
Items of interest were:
the purchase of numbered discs for all bowlers.
A proposal to run the handicap singles on the basis of 100 up, the scoring to be 184.108.40.206.
Handicap Pairs this year was held at night and seems to have been a success.
Uniforms were purchased for the female bar staff and bow ties for males.
At long last the decision was made to purchase indoor bowls mat and bowls. Later another set was purchased from the Cranbrook Club.
Bill Hegney was unable to continue in this position and Herb Graham was appointed as the new Club Patron at the Annual General Meeting.
Dances had dropped off in popularity and it was decided to hold them monthly instead of fortnightly.
Trophies for Bankers and the Pot and Bottle Trophy commenced for the first time.
The year closed with a visit to Osborne Park by the South African Bowlers and our committee's tireless struggle to try and get the new building project underway.
The year started with a warning to all women bowlers that the dress length of 14” from the ground was not being rigidly adhered to.
The new fan purchased for the kitchen was stolen.
Margaret Gordon was unable to stand for office and Tilly Lightly was elected as the new Lady President.
Like the mens club the ladies club also appears to be at a standstill waiting for the new building. Until this was completed there was no point in purchasing new furnishings and equipment.
These two years were very quiet waiting for the new alterations to begin.
These were not up to standard and the club advertised Australia wide for a greenkeeper. The Club was forced to borrow greens from other clubs and it was not until Charlie Foster was employed early in 1969 that our greens improved.
This competition started in 1968 and continued for two seasons, this event was not a success and was discontinued.
At the AGM the President thanked all staff, committee, and members for their co operation during the building alterations and advised that work was expected to be completed around the end of October.
The first record of introducing a Club Newsletter was in September.
END IN SIGHT
The second half of 1969 was hectic for the committee. There were hundreds of items to be purchased, made and installed for the coming opening from a Club Flag at the rear of the building to the Plaque at the front entrance. Various sub committees were formed including composite men and ladies committees to select furnishings curtains and so on. All the old furnishings and equipment were sold or disposed of.
There were busy bees almost weekly. The assembly and erection of all the lockers was a job in itself and it was all done by members.
As could be expected the new clubhouse created a lot of interest and every committee meeting dealt with a growing list of new applications for membership.
Trophy presentation night was held on 6th December.
The bank balance on 1st December 1969 was $11,978.00 in January 1970 it was $982.65, which is a guide to the pressure in those last few months. The year started off on a great note, the greens were reported to be very good and Osborne Park was allocated the first Test Match against South Australia to be held in March.
The grand opening of the new clubhouse was performed by Dr Starke on 23rd January 1970 cocktails at 6.30 p.m. dinner at 7.30 p.m.
What a memorable occasion.
This completes the story of our early years. The story was written from notes of the Mens and Ladies minute books. We wish to thank those members who helped us fill in the odd gaps and names that are not always recorded fully. There are many stories in the club that are of interest to members, we would welcome any member men and ladies who has an item or story to write it down and leave it in the newsletter box.
P.S. These transcripts on the "History of our Early Years” was wholly compiled and written by Bob Newton. To Bob the Club extends its sincere appreciation for the countless number of hours he spent over many months of homework to give us a permanent record to put on file for the future generations of members who we trust will appreciate the unselfish hard work done by the committee under the leadership of George Bell during their many early years of wise decision planning and execution to bring our club into operation in such a short space of time.
Also our appreciation to our past president Jack Hayden and committee who carried on progressively after George’s retirement and today in 1978 we are grateful for the many improvements being accomplished by our President Fred Rowbottam and committee as the club grows from strength to strength.